Friday, December 5, 2008

Santa Baby

My sister (in law) called me the other day with a story that has bothered me all week and just broke my heart. I mean it just hurt my heart and made me so sad. The other night my brother and his wife took their kids to downtown Northport for a Christmas festival that they were having. I guess they go all out with people dressed in Victorian garb and all the stores really deck their shops out in Christmas decorations. She said that it was really nice and so beautiful. Well, they were supposed to have a Santa Claus there as well. My niece, Anna, will be three in February so this is the first year where she really understands the whole asking Santa for things and believing in the whole magic of Christmas. (Yes, I know as Christians that isn't the reason we celebrate Christmas, but she's 2!!) Anyway, Anna Grace was so excited about seeing Santa because she wanted to ask him for a Barbie purse. She's really into Barbie this year. She was so excited to see Santa to ask him for this one and only one thing.

Well, they found a Santa. Jenny said that he looked homeless though. She said he looked so scraggly. He was making kettle corn and just looked terrible. Anna went up to him and said so sweetly, "Hi, Santa!" Well, the man just ignored her!! That hurts me more than anything. I can just picture her all bundled up and looking as cute as can be and so excited to see Santa and then he just ignored her. I wanted to drive down the 4 hours to Northport and strangle this idiotic man. How can you ignore a little child who is obviously excited to see you because you are dressed as Santa? If you do not accept the responsibility of the meaning of the coat you are not worthy to wear it! So Jenny grabs Anna and says that he wasn't really Santa and they will find him a little later. They finally spot a Santa walking towards them and Jenny stops him and says, "Can you talk to my daughter?" So the guy who I was told looked to be about 20 years old squats down to get eye level with Anna and proceeds to pull down his beard and says, "Hi there!" What?!? You have got to be kidding me. No, "Ho! Ho! Ho!"? No, "Have you been good this year little girl?" No, "What would you like for Christmas?" Just a simple "Hi there!" Please. Again...if you can't handle the responsibility of the coat...don't put it on. So Anna didn't get to tell this Santa either that she wanted a Barbie purse.
When they got in the car to go home Anna started crying that she didn't get to tell Santa that she wanted a Barbie purse. At this point in the story I almost started crying. I was so sad for my precious niece. Jenny told her that she went back and told Santa that she wanted the purse and Anna exclaimed, "Thank you, Mama!" But I was so sad for her. Luckily, last night they took Anna Grace to the mall and let her sit on Santa's lap and yes, she did ask for her Barbie purse. God bless us, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always go with the Santas at the malls. Leave the job to professionals!