Friday, December 19, 2008

An Ode to Tammy Taylor


Today's blog is dedicated to one of my very best friends in the entire world, Tammy Taylor. Sunday is Tammy's birthday and I thought I would help celebrate that by giving you a glance of the type of person she is in my blog. So really this blog is just for her.

I met Tammy about six years ago when she started attending our church. She quickly became involved in the music ministry and quickly became a precious person in not just my life but everyone else whose ever met her. She has an unbelievable voice and can play the keys off the piano. I'm only slightly jealous of that. :-)
Somehow Tammy and I became friends very quickly. We realized that we had a lot in common. We both grew up in FWB preacher's homes. We both have one brother who we love with all our hearts but irritate us to no end. We both have one niece and one nephew who are the apple of our eyes. We both have a serious love for TV and movies. I mean serious!! I got her hooked on NCIS this past summer so now after every show we text each other to say what an awesome episode it was and talk about how much we love Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly. She's my movie buddy. We always make plans to see them as they come out and drool over the hot movie star in it. We both have a love of reading...especially Karen Kingsbury's books. Awesome. She's also the fastest reader I have ever seen. Instead of her buying the books I've been letting her borrow mine. There was this series that we were reading. I was at the end of the series and she was just starting so I gave her five books to read. The very next Sunday she gave me two of them back. She read them both in one week!! I was astounded, impressed, and amazed! We also have a huge love of music. It is something that was part of our upbringings. We both have sung in church our whole lives with our families. We both still sing in our church and occasionally we are able to sing together in a trio with my mom. Tammy is also the one who introduced me to country music. She started taking me to the CMA MusicFest for the big concerts at night and I've been hooked for life. We missed last year but hopefully we can make it this year. But thanks to her I've been blessed to have Reba, Dierks, Brad, Keith, Carrie, Taylor and others all in my life. :)
Tammy and I always have a great time together and I know that when I'm with her I'll laugh until my side hurts and have tears rolling down my face. She is the one person that I'm truly myself around. She's the one friend that I know I can be myself around. She's also the only friend who honestly knows my deepest dreams, desires, and burdens. We can go one minute from talking about boys, books, music and movies to talking about what the Lord has done for us and what scriptures mean the most to us. I love it that we can be so silly and act goofy and then the next we are talking theology and how this scripture or that applies to whatever we both are going through at the time. That's a true friend.
Tammy is my sounding board. She's the one person that I vent all my frustrations to. Anything that has to do with church, work and other friends. She listens to every word and then helps me to see reason where I don't see it and helps me figure out a way to find a solution to all my troubles. Something I've learned is that she loves her friends and family and is the most loyal person I know. I know that she is always there when I need her. If someone hurts me she is like a spider monkey jacked up on Mt. Dew. It's rather humorous. When we found out that my mom could possibly have breast cancer she was the first person I called. She was such an encouragement to me and told me that everything would be alright, which it was. She is also single like me (not to pour more salt into that wound). So we always complain to each other about men and how much they are missing out on two quality Christian girls. Tammy would make an awesome wife (to someone who either travels or works nights...which ever works best for you) ;-). So men, if you are reading this, I can tell you that she is a girl worth having in your life and you just don't know what you are missing. Believe me, after certain conversations...you want this girl in your life. :-)
She's just the type of friend you always want in your life and you hope that you are the type of friend that she's wants in her life. Last year she lost her father to cancer and she is a self-proclaimed daddy's girl. It was a very difficult time for her and I had never felt so helpless than I did then. You always want to have the right words to say but all I could do was listen and pray and hoped it gave a little comfort during a dark time. I also learned that she is a very strong woman. Seeing her go through that I saw a strength I never saw before. Only the Lord could have given her that and I greatly admired her thought it all.
What I'm most impressed by Tammy right now is her determination. She recently went through a weight-loss surgery and has lost almost 50 pounds! I'm so proud of her. Her and I have talked in great length about our weight and she was determined to lose it this time and felt like surgery was the best option for her. She can only eat a cupful of food at a time and if you only knew how her and I ate before you would know that this was a drastic change for her. See, when we would have our movie night we always met for dinner before and we just didn't care what we ate. We were always trying out the newest places to eat. So to go from that to what she does now has to take so much determination and it only inspires me to make a change in my eating as well. Not as drastic as what she did but to at least do something.
I know these thoughts might have been jumbled and not worded in the best way but I wanted you to know a little bit about the person that I'm so privileged and honored to call one of my very best friends. So Happy Birthday, Tammy! I know that this year will bring you so much happiness and blessings that you never dreamed. Thank you for being my friend and for always being there in all my bad times but also in all my great times as well! Savannah, here we come!! :)

No comments: