Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Welcome to Smashville!

Last night a friend and I went to the Nashville Predator's hockey game. She got tickets through the company she works for so we were able to park for free, eat for free (in their box suite) and watch the game for free...not too shabby for Janice. It was definitely an interesting night, especially since I know nothing about hockey. Well, I know nothing except from what I've seen on the Mighty Ducks and Miracle (which is an awesome movie, by the way.)

Let me start by saying that was the quickest and easiest time I have ever had getting to my seat at the Sommet Center. We were able to park in a church parking lot right across the street and enter through a special side door which was on the same level as where we were sitting so no stairs or elevators for us. Then when we got to the suite it was filled with food. We had chicken strips, barb-b-que, nachos, chips, popcorn, nuts, raw veggies and the biggest carrot cake I had ever seen. Tammy and I split a piece of cake it was so huge! We had gotten there an hour before the game started so that gave us plenty of time to eat and try to stay warm because it was freezing in there. A man and his wife in the suite with us went on a tour of the arena before the game and they were telling us that they were keeping the arena extra cold in there because the Canadian players complain that our ice is too soft. We played the Toronto Maple Leafs. The game started off well. No one was scoring for awhile then within the first period Toronto scored three goals. I was amazed at how many Toronto fans there were last night. I would say almost half were fans. But anyway, the game itself was boring. Only two fights (which is why I go to the games in the first place) broke out. The Preds lost by one point. It was disappointing. But while there we saw on the Jumbo Tron or the Big Screen that there were several Titans players there and Charles Kelley from Lady Antebellum was there. Interesting note about Charles Kelley that I found out just this morning: Charles is the brother to Josh Kelley who is married to Katherine Heigl of Grey's Anatomy and 27 Dresses. I thought that was kind of cool.

Right after the second period was over (which I did not know that they have a 17 min. intermission between each period) a man in our suite kept saying, "Dierks Bentley is right over there." I turned to look where he was gesturing and sure enough, Dierks Bentley was sitting with his wife about two suites over from where we were sitting. I was so close but so far away! I was too far to get a picture of him but close enough to make out his facial features. But I will say that he is so dreamy...a very handsome man. My boyfriend is okay with this. He's not jealous of Dierks. He knows that he truly has my heart...unless Dierks asks for it then he might need to worry. Just kidding....maybe. :)

But anyway it was so neat to see him. I rarely see any celebrities without seeing them in concert, etc. that it was cool to see them outside of their profession. So after the game we high tailed it out of there because we didn't want to be stuck in the massive traffic jam that always happens after an event at the arena. It took us a mere 3 mins to get back to the car and we were able to get out of the parking lot and back to the Bible College (where I had parked my car) before the people in the nosebleed section made it down to street level at the arena. Ha Ha! Hee Hee!

So the moral of this whole story is this: go to the Preds game because if it's boring as all get out (unless they score then it's exciting for a minute) you can gawk and drool over Dierks Bentley and any other celebrity who might be there. The game suddenly gets interesting. :)

No comments: