Monday, April 13, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

*Disclaimer: The song choice for today may be totally sacrilegious or blasphemous with today's post but thought you might get the concept of what I'm trying to say.

Our church had a great day yesterday. It was actually one of the best Easter services we have ever had. Our worship leader did a fantastic job putting together the song service. The specials were also wonderful except for a certain person who tried to sing the solo on the choir song but got too emotional and well tears and singing don't mix with this person. Which brings me to ask...how can some people cry and sing without ever missing a note or word? Not me, once I get emotional over a song I can't hardly recover. It was painful yesterday, I must admit, but then again, I also don't mind too much because the words were just too powerful to not react to them. I just wish I could be better at controlling my emotions when I sing. I'm not pro, that's for sure.

As you can see my post is titled "Respect". I got to thinking about something yesterday and had a conversation with my mom regarding this very topic. (It's actually a topic that has been on my mind a lot lately.) Being Easter Sunday yesterday, everyone was dressed to the nines. All the girls/ladies bought new dresses and their hair and make-up were done perfectly. All the men in the place wore their best suits and ties and looked so handsome. I know that Easter is a significant Sunday. This is the day we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ and it deserves special recognition. But why do we dress up only for this special day? This may not be the case in your church but in my place of worship it is. We have those, myself included, who only wears dresses and skirts/suits and ties to all services. Then we have those who wear dresses/suits to morning worship and then dress slacks or jeans the rest of the week. We then have those who wear t-shirts and jeans (male & female) to all services and only dress up for Easter and Christmas. I know that what you wear to church does not say how close you are to the Lord but doesn't your dress say something about your attitude towards worshiping the Lord and respecting Him?

I know that there are many people who disagree with me on this subject and will argue, literally yell at me over how judgemental, snooty, and old fashioned I am on this subject. But people, I'm pretty much set in my ways on this subject. My father always says from the pulpit how we need to always wear our best to church and if bibbed overalls are the best you have then wear it. But when you know that people have the best but choose to wear jeans with holes in them and t-shirts that are so skin tight on them I have to wonder sometimes. Not wonder over their Christianity but wonder on how respectful they are to God and His house of worship. I hope I'm making sense on this. I was brought up to be respectful to the church building because that is God's house. I had a friend ask me once why I always wore dresses and skirts to church. I told her out of respect for God. She then asked me if I thought that women wearing dress slacks to church was disrespectful. I told her no I didn't but that I didn't feel right wearing pants to church (I was also brought up that women don't wear slacks to church and it just got instilled in me that I can't break it now.) She was confused then why I always wore dresses so I came up with this illustration that helped her understand where I was coming from. I asked that if you were invited to the White House or the Queen's palace in England what would you wear? She said she would go out and find the best ballgown she could find. I asked her why she would do that and she replied, "Because it's the President and the Queen and it's their house?" Exactly. You wear those garments because you respect the position and the person that occupies that home. Well, shouldn't God get the same respect? After all, He's more powerful and more important than the President or the Queen could ever dream about being. The church building is God's house and so it should be respected. Not just with our worship but with the way we dress as well. He deserves the best because He sent His Son to die for us! He created the world in just a few short days. He's the most powerful being in the universe who deserves all the praise and respect that we can give him...that includes the way we dress. I believe that if you show up to church on a Sunday morning and are wearing jeans with holes, t-shirts, flip flops, and you hair is hardly brushed then that is saying, "God, I know this is your house, but I just don't care how I look for you even though you created me and gave me another day to live." But if that attire is the best you have, then by all means, wear it.

I hope this made sense but I also hoped it helped those of you who have literally yelled at me for being judgemental. Which, if you call someone judgemental, are you yourself being judgemental? Just a thought. But anyway, it has been on my mind lately and I thought I would share. So what are your thoughts on this subject?

Have a great week!

No comments: