Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Were You?

Do you remember what you were doing eight years ago today? Like everyone in our great country I'm sure you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing. I had been working at the FWB National Home Missions office for exactly one year. I was sitting at my desk working on my computer when my phone rang. It was my mother saying a plane had crashed into one of the towers at the World Trade Center. I really didn't think too much about it. I just figured that it was a tourist plane or something small like that. Then a little bit later she called again saying another plane hit the other tower and then she told me about the other two planes in PA and at the Pentagon. It was so surreal.

Our office turned on the TV and were just astounded at what we were seeing that day. Needless to say not much got done in our office that day. I'm sure not much work got done anywhere that day across our nation. At lunchtime I walked to my car and won't forget the feeling while being outside. The skies were so quiet and it felt so eerie. The sky was a gorgeous deep blue with not a single cloud floating by. It was a beautiful day. Airplanes fly over our building all day long because we are not too far from the airport but not a single plane flew by that day and the silence was deafening...signaling that something terrible was wrong. It was if the world just stopped that day. Of course for the next few hours we were glued to the TV as we watched the towers burn and then tumble to the ground.

I know it's been eight years but when I still stop and think about that day all the same feelings I had that day come back up to the surface.

Today I will remember those whose lives were taken on the horrible day.

Today I will remember the men and women who fought and died protecting our country.

Today I will remember those men and women who are still fighting today for our freedom.

Today I will not forget.

No comments: