Friday, January 9, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Today is a little sad. One of the departments in my building had to let go of a worker today because of the economy and she came around to say good-bye to us all. She has worked in this certain department for 22 years and now she has to leave. She's a sweet lady and I hate to see her go. She found out Wednesday that she was being let go and now today was her last day. It's very sad.

That got me to thinking about what I would do if I were let go from work all of a sudden. It's a scary thought and one that many people are facing everyday since our country has gotten into a recession. But I was talking to a friend today and I think that once I'm done working at my current job I'm done working in an office setting. I've enjoyed working here and still do. I like the people I work with and for the most part it's a very nice place to work. It has its moments where you get frustrated with people and there are plenty of days where I just don't feel like going in but that's true in any job. So what would I do if it all ended tomorrow? I think that I would just write. That's what I really want to do anyway. I think that I would spend all my time writing stories and articles. You can make a good living doing it. That's not why I really want to write though. I just want to tell a good story. I've mentioned in here plenty of times how much I love to read. I love to get lost in a story and let it take me to places I've never been. I want it to touch my soul and change my life and way of thinking sometimes. I would love to do that for other people. I love the different emotions that it puts me through. I love that they make me laugh, cry and scare me out of my wits. I once read a book (by Stephen King) that scared me so badly I put it in the freezer and slept with my light on. It was scary but I loved it!

Besides getting married and having a family of my own, that's my biggest dream. I guess it's my second dream or goal in life. Do dreams really come true? I love the song from the Wizard of Oz, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It talks about dreams coming true. I believe that God wants our dreams to come true. I was talking to a friend the other night after church and I told her that 2008 was a bad year for me. I went into a depression of sorts. It wasn't a huge depression but it was enough that it messed up my relationship with the Lord and with other people. Finally, one day I just told the Lord that I had enough! I wanted to be happy. I was tired of feeling sad and not worth anything to anyone. I finally just laid it all down at my Savior's feet and gave it all to Him. It was amazing how I felt afterwards. I stopped focusing on what I didn't have. I started making lists of what I wanted to accomplish and I've made it my goal to really accomplish as many of them as I can. I know I've talked about this not long ago but it's still so heavy on my mind that I want to just keep reminding myself. Seeing this lady today lose her job reminded me again of what I really want to accomplish in life.

The Lord has restored relationships that I lost and He also added new ones that are blessing my life tremendously. I'm the happiest now than I've ever been and I know that no matter what happens in my life that the Lord will always be there with me helping me make my dreams come true.

No comments: