Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Storms and Songs

My poor neglected blog. I've been so lazy about keeping up with it lately. There are days where I start writing something and then it sounds so boring to me that I know it would be boring to you. So I would always opt to not write anything at all. Anyway, yesterday early evening we had a summer thunderstorm come through Nashville. I love rain and thunderstorms so I was very comfortable sitting in my house watching roll through. It didn't last very long but it was a pretty strong one with a lot of lightening and plenty of wind. It actually looked like a monsoon out there with rain coming down in buckets. It was unbelievable the amount of rain we got in just the span of 30 minutes and with all the lightening we ended up losing our power for over 2 hours. We had a church softball game planned but of course that got rained out. So at seven, several us decided to meet up at Starbucks instead. It was nice and pleasant just sitting and talking with church members. Most of our side of town had lost power and many people that we knew who didn't go to our church was showing up at Starbucks to work on their computers or get out of the heat. It turned out to be a very nice evening with lots of friends, iced coffee, and laughter. Life's most unexpected events sometimes turn out to be one of life's greatest joys or blessings. I think that is a quote because something tells me I didn't just make that up. :)

Before I had left for Starbucks I was sitting in the dark reading a book and listening to the radio. I was listening to what they call easy listening but it was mostly 80's and early 90's music. Have you ever listened to a song and it instantly takes you back to the moment where you first heard that song? The song Glory of Love by Peter Cetera came on the radio and I was instantly transported back to 1986 and into my aunt and uncle's living room where I watched The Karate Kid Pt. 2 for the first time. I remember being in my pajamas snuggled in a sleeping bag on the floor with my brother and two cousins. We each had our own bowl of buttery popcorn and our favorite drink and were so excited to watch this sequel. I particularly remember watching the scene where Daniel and Kumiko were racing to this song on the shores of Okinawa (it was probably the shores of Los Angeles but it was meant to be the shores of Okinawa). They stop at this certain place and she tells Daniel of old customs her village would have and then they close their eyes and think of their dreams and pray that they would come true. I thought Ralph Macchio was the most good looking guy I had ever seen. He was tall, dark and handsome (every girl's dream, right?). It almost took me off guard though at how quickly I was placed back in time when I first heard that song. It did nothing but stir warm memories in my heart and make me long for the much simpler days of the life of a nine year old girl.

No comments: