Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Changed Plans

Well, it's Tuesday, the day I am supposed to leave on my trip but instead I'm actually sitting here at work. Our plans for our trip to California took a severe turn Monday. I was going on the trip with all my co-workers and their spouses. This was something fun that we had decide to and had never done before. It was something we all had been planning and talking about for months. We were all so excited and even talking about it Monday morning when we got to work. Then the unexpected happened.

One of the men in our office walked in and as soon as we saw him, we knew that something terrible had happened. He asked us if we heard the news and we said no. Our boss's son had passed away late in the evening the night before from an apparent heart attack. We were just stunned. It was completely unexpected as this man was only 48 years old and in perfect condition. He even just recently passed a physical exam. Our hearts were just breaking for our boss and his family. I can not imagine what they are going through.

My co-workers and I got together and prayed for my boss and his family and then made the decision to cancel our trip. It just didn't seem right to go when our boss was hurting and mourning the death of his son. As disappointing as it is to not be able to go on this trip, canceling it was the right thing to do. The hardest part was telling my friend and travel companion that it was cancelled. She understood our reasons. We plan on rescheduling it but I'll already be married and living elsewhere so I won't be able to go on the rescheduled trip and unfortunately my friend won't be able to go as well.

So instead of planning and preparing for a fun trip, I'm preparing to head to the visitation later on today and the funeral tomorrow. It's such a sad situation and my heart just breaks for the entire family. He left behind a wife and a 13 year old daughter. So please pray for the Powell family this week and in the weeks to come.

No comments: