Monday, August 16, 2010

Storms

I am not a huge fans of storms. I never really have been. Usually when I know a storm is coming I get myself home and where I'll be pretty much safe and sound. What I get so freaked out about usually is when there is a threat of tornadoes. The weird thing is when a tornado is in the area I usually go stand outside and try to find it so I really contradict my fear of storms.

When Alan and I started dating and I knew we were going to be traveling back and forth every weekend the only thing that made me nervous was the threat of storms. Alabama and Tennessee get huge storms and sometimes big old fat tornadoes. I knew the odds of both of us driving through storms were pretty good especially during the spring-fall seasons. This year though it hasn't been that bad. I really can't remember driving through sprinkles let alone huge downpours with threats of tornadoes. But this past weekend was completely different.
It has been so hot in the south that everyday there are isolated or pop up storms everywhere between Tuscaloosa and Nashville. I usually can get out of Nashville before they hit and and can time getting to T-town without hitting any of the storms but this weekend was not the case. I left Nashville Friday around 1pm and by 3pm I found myself near Cullman, AL and went through the worst storm I had ever been through at least driving by myself. I could tell it was one of those isolated cases but it was pretty scary. It was driving into a wall of water and then it was raining so hard that I had to put my flashers on and was driving about 10 mph. People were pulling off left and right but I just kept on truckin. I knew if I kept going I would eventually get out of it and when I got of it...I got out of it. It was a line had been drawn across the road and on this side was the big bad storm with lots of wind, lightning and huge claps of thunder and on this side it was dry as a bone and as sunny as could be. It was like going from night to day. Weird. I was glad I kept going. I had no other trouble the rest of my journey to Northport.
On the way back to Nashville I went through an even bigger storm before I even got to Birmingham. This one was so bad it forced me to get off the road and seek shelter. I was so scared and came close to turning around and heading back to my brother's house where it was safe and dry and sunny. The storm finally let up and I ventured back on the interstate to head home only to be caught in another storm about an hour and half up the road. I was so over these storms. This one was not really anything but some heavy rain and didn't have much wind, thunder and lightening like the other two. By the time I got to Huntsville my nerves were shot though. I was so happy to see that the clouds were separating and the sun was shining through. The rest of the way home was dry and clear and sunny and I made it home safely. I was thanking God over and over for keeping me safe while on the road. The whole trip reminded me of that song Till The Storm Passes By.
In the dark of the midnight,Have I oft hid my face;
While the storm howls above me,And there's no hiding place;
'Mid the crash of the thunder,Precious Lord, hear my cry;
"Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by.
"'Til the storm passes over,'Til the thunder sounds no more;'
Til the clouds roll forever from the sky,
Hold me fast, let me stand,In the hollow of Thy hand;
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by.
Many times Satan whispers,
"There is no need to try;
For there's no end of sorrow,There's no hope by and by";
But I know Thou art with me, And tomorrow I'll rise;
Where the storms never darken the skies.
'Til the storm passes over,'Til the thunder sounds no more;
'Til the clouds roll forever from the sky,
Hold me fast, let me stand,In the hollow of Thy hand;
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by.
When the long night has ended, And the storms come no more,
Let me stand in Thy presence. On that bright, peaceful shore.
In that land where the tempest Never comes, Lord may I
Dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.'
Til the storm passes over,'Til the thunder sounds no more;
'Til the clouds roll forever from the sky,
Hold me fast, let me stand,In the hollow of Thy
hand; Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This happened to me once when returning from Alabama, too. At that time, I lived in Bellevue, and the storm hit near Franklin. Almost home, but I almost died. Found out when I got home it was a tornado warning that I drove through. I believe angels were driving with me that night!

robert said...

Thanks for the interesting reminiscences, and for posting Mosie Lister's fine gospel song. (Today is his 89th birthday, if he's still with us.) The protecting hand of the Lord in the midst of life's storms is a great reassurance.

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns. God bless.