Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Redhead, A Brunette, and a Rest Area

This past weekend I was in Alabama again. The only difference than any other weekend I'm down there was that my family was not there. My sister in law had a girls weekend trip with the women in her family so she loaded up the kids and brought them to my parents house for the weekend. My brother at the last minute decided to go up to Nashville to see my parents as well. I already had planned to go to Alabama because my boyfriend and I had plans to spend Saturday at the lake with some friends.

My brother came home Saturday evening but Jenny and the kids were not coming back until Sunday evening. I always leave Sunday afternoon to head back to Nashville. I didn't get to really see her or the kids at the start of the weekend. We knew that we would be passing each other on the interstate so we decided to meet up somewhere so we could all see each other for a few minutes. We kept calling and saying what mile marker we were at and then we both realized we were a mile from the same rest area so we decided to meet there. I pull up to the parking lot and get sort of confused. I gaze across the interstate just in time to see Jenny pulling up at the rest area on the other side of the interstate. I call Jenny and say, "Hey! Look across the interstate." She did and we both start dying of laughter. I waved at her and said, "We are idiots."

So I drove up to the next exit and turned around and met up with them at their rest area. I got out of the car and my nephew saw me and screamed my name and came running down the sidewalk and flung himself into my arms. It was so sweet. He kept saying, "Janice! You're here!" Then he gave me the biggest hug and sweetest kiss. My niece then saw me and did the same thing. It just melts my heart when those two get excited to see me. I love those little faces so much and I'm so thankful that I get to see them more often than I use to. I have my Alabama boyfriend to thank for that. :)

Anyway, we stayed there for a few minutes so I could admire my sister in law's belly. She is getting big for only being a few months pregnant. She looks so cute. We talked and got caught up for about 10 minutes then decided to hit the road. Luckily for her, she only had about 20 more miles to go but I still had a 3 1/2 hour drive ahead of me and it was getting late. (There were storms headed to Nashville and I was trying to beat them home.)

About an hour later I get a text from Alan (my boyfriend) that said, "So you had a blond moment there?" I had no idea what he was talking so I told him no and why was he asking such a question and texting me while he was in church. Shame! Shame! He called me after church and said that Chad told him what me and Jenny did regarding the rest stops. I didn't know it was such a stupid move but it really was. In our defense, I really thought it was one rest area that both sides of the interstate go to. I have seen those and just assumed that this one was the same. Anyway, this story probably wasn't that funny to you but we sure laughed about it and especially how both my brother and my boyfriend called us idiots. But if they want to pull the thread on the idiot factor, I do have whoppers of stories about them....but I won't. :)

1 comment:

beckyreed626 said...

i love this post, because it is totally something i would do too! i enjoy your blog, janice!