Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Weighty Issues

Bunco was a lot of fun last night. Of course, it helps that I actually won a prize for most wins. I had 13 out of 20 wins. I was rolling double sixes left and right. Naturally, if you don't play Bunco you will have no idea what I'm talking about but I was excited. I've never had such a good night. But it was such a fun night with the girls...well, mainly girls. We had a few who couldn't make it and we couldn't get any subs to take their place so a couple of the girls had their husbands fill in and they were quite hilarious. It definitely made things interesting. Our hostess made the gifts a theme and her prizes were various work out items. I got two hand held 3 lbs weights and a travel mug. Other prizes were yoga mats, an exercise ball, push up bars (I said b-a-r-s. Some girls were a little dyslexic last night if you know what I mean. lol!) and I can't remember what else. But I love it when the gifts are a theme. It's so cute and creative. Anyhoo, it was a lot of fun. I look forward to these groups each month. Again, I suggest if you are looking to start a monthly girls night out...Bunco is a fun and easy way to do it. Don't play it by the instructions...that's boring. If you want to know how we play it drop me a line. I'll explain it. It's so easy.

Speaking of exercise, I have been wanting to start trying to lose some weight for a very long time. I had lost almost 40 lbs a few years ago but I ended up putting it all back on. I have always had trouble with my weight. I do believe its genetic. Looking at back at my family and extended family I can tell that it does run in the family. My brother isn't heavy at all. He's always nice and trim but he also works out and watches what he eats. He's always done that. He's always stayed active in school by playing sports now he goes running everyday and has a home gym in his garage. I think that if he didn't work at it he would be in the same boat as me and my family. My boyfriend is a workout junkie as well. He works out almost everyday and is trying to watch what he eats. He's a big guy. He's around 6'2" and has a little weight on him but not much. I quite honestly don't know how I snagged him looking the way I do but I'm so grateful that he looked past my weight when we met. He's so sweet though. He's all the time telling how beautiful I am. *Swoon*. I'm so in love! :) Anyway...I'm just tired of being big. Now, I'm not the two ton whale or anything like that but I do have a lot more weight than I should and I'm starting to tell how much I actually have physically. Which, I know doesn't make sense but in my head it does. :)

My dad goes and works out in the gym most days and my mom is wanting to lose weight as well. When she got sick last year and couldn't eat she had dropped a gobs of weight but unfortunately once she got her appetite back and her health issues went away he pounds came back on and then some. We both had gone to Weight Watchers and loved it. But this time around we don't really want to go each week to a meeting nor do I really have the money to go each week. It can get expensive. So this past Saturday I made a proposition to my parents and they both agreed. So starting tonight we are starting our own unofficial Weight Watchers meeting. We are going to weigh ourselves each week at the same time on a scale my dad bought today (isn't that funny?) and then probably talk about it for a little while. It's just like they do in the meetings. The only difference here is that we are paying money if we can gain weight. If we maintain from week to week we have to drop 50 cents in the jar. For every pound gained that week we are adding a dollar. Then at the end of the month whomever lost the most pounds gets the money to do with whatever they want. Mom and I realized that money was a huge incentive last time in losing weight and we thought we had to factor that in this time. Money wasn't the only incentive to lose weight but when you weren't losing weight or gaining weight and still paying that money each week it made you feel like a not good steward of your money. So why not change it up a little and actually get that money back...maybe. So we are trying this and seeing how this goes. Of course no one will see how much I weigh nor do I really want to see how much they weigh so we are on an honor system there but I don't think I'll have a problem with cheating. :)

So do any of you have weighty issues or had them in the past? What worked well for you in losing weight and keeping it off? I would love to hear ideas and plans that worked.

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

T2Nashville said...

This is a great idea! Good luck! I know you guys can do it!