Monday, February 1, 2010

What's In a Name?

I can't remember if I've talked about this and I'm just that lazy to not go back and check so if you've heard this before...I'm sorry. :)

Our Ladies Prayer Group at church is currently trying to pick a new name after the strong encouragement of our pastor. Meaning, we have to change our name. At first I balked at this request. I thought it was working out for us quite well but we've learned that it actually is keeping some people from attending.

We had a recent attendee tell us that she wouldn't ever try us out because she thought all we did was chant verses and pray the entire time. Now we do read verses and we do pray but that's not all we do. We are a group of women who go through a Bible study, we take prayer requests and we eat. Of course we eat. What FWB get together doesn't involve food. LOL! But after she told me this it did get me to thinking about our name I realized that maybe we should change it as to not be identified as a group of women who sit and chant for an hour and a half.

At our last meeting, I talked to the girls about it and we all thought it would be a good idea and so we started listing names that we had either just come up with or names that we had found on the Internet. There are some very interesting ones. I won't list the ones I thought were a little too outlandish as not to offend anyone whose ladies group might be named this. But let me list a few and if you wouldn't mind to maybe comment on what you think about them or if you have an entirely different idea just let me know this as well. But first let me say that last week, I had put this as my status on Facebook to try and get suggestions and of course some were very, um, interesting (partly thanks to my pesky brother). A male college friend of mine ended up writing me a message on Facebook letting me know his thoughts and how I need to be careful on choosing a name. There were many other things he wrote and we had quite a discussion. I agreed with everything he said and so what I've done after his suggestion was to really think about the goal and purpose our ladies group. My main goal and purpose is for us to learn what the Bible says about being better women for Christ...learn from each other...pray for each other...encourage each other...get closer together as sisters in Christ...and glorify Him. That is what I try to bring to our lessons each month. So after thinking of our purpose here is a small list that I, along with a few others, have come up with. Let me know what you think.

Sisters
Women in Christ
Women of Rejoice (that is the name of our church)
Women's Bible Study (not too catchy but at least you know we aren't chanting)
The Ruth Group (I love Ruth. She's probably my favorite woman in the Bible)
Together (Someone suggested this but I don't want to step on WNAC's toes on this one.) :)

Those are about it. Not too catchy of names but my favorite on the list is Sisters. Let me know what you think and if you have a suggestion please let me know.

Happy Monday!

No comments: