Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas is Weird

Is it just me or is Christmas just weird this year? It's probably just me. I love Christmas though. I love the twinkling lights, the falling snow (not that Nashville gets any), the cheesy Christmas programs at church and even cheesier Christmas movies on Hallmark and Lifetime, the hot chocolate and the music. Oh how I love Christmas music. It's not Christmas until you hear Karen Carpenter sing "Merry Christmas, Darling" or swoon as Bing Crosby belts out "White Christmas" with that svelte voice of his. But this year is just plain weird to me.

I guess I should offer advice to never move during the holiday season. I closed on my home on November 4 thinking that I would get to move the next week. I had dreams of unpacking my boxes and getting everything in it's place before Thanksgiving and then as soon as I got back from Thanksgiving vacation I would put up my tree and unpack my Santa Claus collection. Then I woke up! I moved the Tuesday after Thanksgiving instead and have just now gotten my house just the way I want and now it's too close to Christmas to put up my tree and decorate for Christmas. I was excited about being in my new home before Christmas so I could decorate but sometimes life just gets in the way of hopes and dreams. Oh well, there's always next year.

But Christmas feels weird because I don't have a tree up. It's the first year ever in my life where I didn't have a tree up. It makes me miss my parents house. My mom always has their house decorated so nicely for Christmas but not me. Not this year. I haven't even watched White Christmas yet. I watch that movie at least 3 times during the Christmas season. I'm taking it this weekend to Alabama and making my boyfriend watch it. He had never seen it and all he asked me was if it was in black or white. I told him no but it was a musical. He didn't seem impressed. It's not Christmas until I watch that movie. He made me suffer through the movie Men Who Stare At Goats (on our first date) so I'm making him suffer through White Christmas.

Tonight I'm finishing up my Christmas shopping and then tomorrow I'm off to Alabama. It's my weekend to drive so I'm heading that way around noon. Then Friday night we are babysitting my niece and nephew as my brother and his wife take their youth group Christmas Caroling. It should be fun. I always have a great time with my niece and nephew and they are at that age that is so much fun. We just run and play until we collapse at bedtime. I love those little munchkins. It's hard to imagine our family before they came along. I wish my brother and his wife would have a slew of kids...just don't tell them I said so!

Happy Thursday!

No comments: